Friday, February 12, 2010

Vampires and Pretty Girls

I have to say that I would be the last person to watch a zombie or a vampire movie, let alone read a book. In my entire life, I havent done either, until recently. The "Twilight" bug has bitten me and I am madly in love and complete awe of this saga. My friend Kads described this book and her obsession to me in simple words - what really got me was the way her eyes conveyed how this whole thing had her in its spell and convinced me that I had to read it.

Read I did and in a matter of a few days. "Twilight" is the story of a 17 year old girl "Bella" who lands up in a dreamy, foggy Washington town called Forks and immediatley falls in love with a mysterious character named Edward Cullen. She quickly figures out that Edward is a vampire - a fact that does not deter her from completely, hopelessly falling in love with him. Most of the book is about how these two totally different creatures, beauty and the beast, find each other and become inseparable, despite their fundamental and scary differences. Edward becomes Bella's protector from all things normal and paranormal and saves her many times, and ultimately in the climax from other vampires.

Stephanie Meyer is brilliant in how she has written this book. Its a young, adults novel, but the themes and the writing is very appealing to all ages, IMO. She is also very tricky - her Bella is a very smart, young high school junior, very good in studies, reading complex books and writing papers on these books effortlessly. I am sure this is her way of influencing her young readers to read old classics, appreciate them and be really good in school.

I have to admit and am almost embarrased when I say this, but the narrative about how Bella falls in love with Edward is beautiful and lyrical - it is bound to take readers down memory lane. and will remind them of the longing and intoxication of first love. The vampire angle is extremly interesting and dark. I have been watching documentaries and reading wikipedia about the whole phenomenon.

I am now reading "New Moon" which my friends have promised is even a better read! I cant wait to finish it and watch the movie, which I am sure will be no where as good as the book, Twilight sure wasnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment